Friday, March 23, 2007

Play of the year

The Bears official website has a survey out asking what was the play of 2006.

My vote goes to Hester's punt return TD against Arizona. That play extended our undefeated run, and provided the deciding points in a road game in which our offense tossed up a goose egg. It proved we could win with special teams and defense alone, on the road, in a game in which we wer clearly outplayed. It was a spectacular play, and it sent a pretty intimidating message to the rest of the league.

My runner up would be Gould's game-winner against Seattle in the Divisional game. The Bears hadn't won a playoff game in over a decade, the team and fans were still trying to get the monkey off their back from consecutive home losses in divisional playoff games, and the game had dragged on and both teams were clearly exhuasted. We neede a big play, and Gould came through with a long kick in tough conditions to clinch the victory. I was there, and it was the craziest I had ever seen Soldier Field in my 13 years of attending live games (note I used had, not have, because the Saints game the next week was off the charts).

1 comment:

Michael Tams said...

Yeah, I'd say Hester could claim the top two spots, the other being his 108-yard return in New York. The fake/hesitation move was unreal.

I'd give him spot #3 - his return to open the Super Bowl - except that the outcome was a loss, which diminishes that play among the "top 10 of the year." It's honorable mention for sure, considering he was checking himself out on the stadium jumbo-tron, which I thought was hilarious.

"Yeah. Check me out. I'm awesome."