Saturday, June 16, 2007

Ditka and Duerson

About a week ago Da Coach hung up on Dave during a radio interview. The specifics of that disagreement aside, I find myself thinking: this is one instance when I might actually side with a union.

The profession of NFL football player is a brutal one. Guys get hurt in every game, even if we the fans don't see it.

Let's face it: the old players are the ones who helped build the National Football League. In many cases, this is actually taking years off of their lives, considering that the average life expectancy of an NFL player is 55 years.

This is properly an issue between the player's association and the owners, but here's hoping that both parties agree on an equitable plan going forward to care for the health of players after their playing days are over.

3 comments:

Edmund Schrag said...

Interesting site, Mike. It'll be a shame to see my Patriots crush yoah Beahs. Revenge is a dish best served ... ah, 23 yeahs latah? And if the Pats ah'nt up to it, then pah-haps the Thiefs will fill in nicely.

Michael Tams said...

Zounds! Who invited the Bean-towner to the party??

Thanks for stopping by Samuel, as you can see, I'm devoting only a little time here given my, um, other interests. ;)

But rest assured, once the season is up and running I'll be more active here!

Edmund Schrag said...

Don't thank me yet! Har-har!

Yes, that accent was a bit ... forced, shall we say?

I understand. Being a newlywed, I have found various and sundry ... distractions that have worked their ways into my normal schedule unsought.

As per the eventual distraction from your distractions: I wouldn't have it any other way.