Monday, April 30, 2007

Draft Recap

Well, really, more like "Draft Opinion" but you get the idea.

Overall, I'm neutral on the draft. I know that the Bears do a good job finding "day 1" contributors, so I'm hopeful we'll have a couple of guys fighting for starting jobs from the get-go.

Round 1: Olsen is scary fast according to this link. For a guy that size to move that fast just doesn't seem possible. Speed rules in the NFL, so he fits the mold. He probably needs a year of weight training to put on some necessary size and learn the ropes, but he'll have a good teacher in Des, so this is a pretty good pick.

Round 2: The Bears draft Dan Hampton. S'cuse me, Dan Bazuin. I like this pick, but this is my favorite type of player - a guy who plays every down like it might be his last. Might be better than the first round guy.

Round 3: Wolfe and Okwo. Okwo will probably be an immediate addition to special teams. Wolfe is sort of a gamble, but the Bears have made picks like him work, so if he winds up being a poor man's Reggie Bush, I won't mind a bit.

Later rounds: I don't note much special in the later rounds (so when one of them is starting later this year, you'll understand why I'm in Commercial Banking and not scouting), except the freakish size of this guy.

Overall, though, I'm feeling neutral on this draft. No disappointments, no gasping at genius. Not too shabby for the Super Bowl runner-up, I might add.

1 comment:

Pat said...

I am pretty content with this draft. I love the Olsen pick, he's everything we've been missing in a TE, and I've been clamoring for one for the past 3 years.

JA always drafts well on D, so I'll give hm the benefit of the doubt there. The picks look pretty solid.

Wolfe could be a good 3rd down type back, I'm thinking more of a Warrick Dunn/Leon Washington type, rather than a Reggie Bush.

I like drafting multiple 3nd day o-linemen. Those positions can be developed, if you get someone with size and athleticism. Our starters are vets, and anyone we draft has 1-2 years to practice & learn.